"Success at Apache" –a monthly blog series that focuses on the processes behind why the ASF "just works".
– Open Innovation from a Non-native English Country by Von Gosling https://s.apache.org/lh61
ASF Board –management and oversight of the business affairs of the corporation in accordance with the Foundation’s bylaws.
– Next Board Meeting: 21 March. Board calendar and minutes http://apache.org/foundation/board/calendar.html
ApacheCon™ –the ASF’s official global conference series.
– Travel Assistance applications now being accepted for ApacheCon/Montreal https://www.apache.org/travel/
– CFP is open for ApacheCon 24-29 September in Montreal http://apachecon.com/
– ApacheCon and The Open Geospatial Consortium team up to advance the implementation of geospatial data and processing across Apache projects https://s.apache.org/iUM5
Apache Community Development –helps newcomers take their first steps towards being a part of the Apache community.
– The ASF is a Google Summer of Code Mentoring Organization for the 13th consecutive year. Students: roll up sleeves and get started with dozens of Apache projects at https://community.apache.org/gsoc.html
ASF Infrastructure –our distributed team on three continents keeps the ASF’s infrastructure running around the clock.
– 7M+ weekly checks yield snapping performance at 99.98% uptime. http://status.apache.org/
ASF Operations Factoid –this week, 545 Apache contributors changed 1,529,153 lines of code over 4,008 commits. Top 5 contributors, in order, are: Sijie Guo, Duo Zhang, Dan Kirkwood, Andrea Cosentino and Tilman Hausherr.
Apache Groovy™ –a multi-facet programming language for the JVM.
– Apache Groovy 2.6.0-alpha-3 released https://groovy.apache.org/
Apache HBase™ –an Open Source, distributed, versioned, non-relational database.
– Apache HBase 2.0.0-beta-2 https://hbase.apache.org/
Apache Hivemall (incubating) –a scalable machine learning library implemented as Hive UDFs/UDAFs/UDTFs.
– Apache Hivemall 0.5.0-incubating released http://hivemall.incubator.apache.org/
Apache Jackrabbit™ –a fully compliant implementation of the Content Repository for Java(TM) Technology API, version 2.0 (JCR 2.0) as specified in the Java Specification Request 283 (JSR 283).
– Apache Jackrabbit 2.6.10 released http://jackrabbit.apache.org/
Apache Kafka™ –a distributed streaming platform.
– Apache Kafka 1.0.1 http://kafka.apache.org/
Apache Kylin™ –an Open Source Distributed Analytics Engine designed to provide SQL interface and multi-dimensional analysis (OLAP) on Apache Hadoop, supporting extremely large datasets.
– Apache Kylin 2.3.0 released https://kylin.apache.org/
Apache Libcloud™ –a Python library that abstracts away the differences among multiple cloud provider APIs.
– Apache Libcloud 2.3.0 release https://libcloud.apache.org/
Apache Lucene™ –a high-performance, full-featured text search engine library written entirely in Java.
– Apache Lucene 6.6.3 and Solr 6.6.3 released http://lucene.apache.org/
Apache Parquet™ –a general-purpose columnar file format supporting nested data.
– Apache Parquet C++ release 1.4.0 released http://parquet.apache.org/
Apache Qpid™ –a messaging library for the Advanced Message Queuing Protocol 1.0 (AMQP 1.0, ISO/IEC 19464, http://www.amqp.org).
– Apache Qpid JMS 0.30.0, Apache Qpid Proton 0.21.0, and Qpid Broker-J 7.0.2 released http://qpid.apache.org/
Apache Tomcat™ –an Open Source software implementation of the Java Servlet, JavaServer Pages, Java Unified Expression Language, Java WebSocket and JASPIC technologies.
– Apache Tomcat Connectors 1.2.43 released https://tomcat.apache.org/
Apache UIMA™ –a component architecture and framework for the analysis of unstructured content like text, video and audio data.
– Apache UIMA Java SDK 3.0.0 released http://uima.apache.org
Did You Know?
– Did you know that Netflix uses Apache Kafka to scale its architecture across 4,000+ brokers and > 1 trillion messages per day? http://kafka.apache.org/
– Did you know that Apache NetBeans (incubating) seeks programmers to help test its newest release? http://netbeans.apache.org/
– Did you know that you can keep up to date with the latest developments on the ASF Community Development (ComDev) activities through their monthly blog? https://blogs.apache.org/comdev/
– The Apache Software Foundation 2018 Vision Statement https://s.apache.org/zqC3
– Apache in 2017 – By The Digits https://s.apache.org/h8do
– Foundation Statement –Apache Is Open. https://s.apache.org/PIRA
– "Success at Apache" focuses on the processes behind why the ASF "just works". 1) Project Independence https://s.apache.org/CE0V 2) All Carrot and No Stick https://s.apache.org/ykoG 3) Asynchronous Decision Making https://s.apache.org/PMvk4) Rule of the Makers https://s.apache.org/yFgQ 5) JFDI –the unconditional love of contributors https://s.apache.org/4pjM 6) Meritocracy and Me https://s.apache.org/tQQh 7) Learning to Build a Stronger Community https://s.apache.org/x9Be 8) Meritocracy. https://s.apache.org/DiEo 9) Lowering Barriers to Open Innovation https://s.apache.org/dAlg 10) All My Roads Led to Apache https://s.apache.org/l9OO 11) Scratch Your Own Itch. https://s.apache.org/7Amk 12) What a Long Strange (and Great) Trip It’s Been https://s.apache.org/gVuN 13) A Newbie’s Narrative https://s.apache.org/A72H 14) Contributing to Open Source even with a high-pressure job https://s.apache.org/lM9O 15) Success at Apache: Open Innovation from a Non-native English Country https://s.apache.org/lh61
– Please follow/like/re-tweet the ASF on social media: @TheASF on Twitter and on LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/company/the-apache-software-foundation
– Do friend and follow us on the Apache Community Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/ApacheSoftwareFoundation/ and Twitter account https://twitter.com/ApacheCommunity
– The list of Apache project-related MeetUps can be found at http://apache.org/events/meetups.html
– Members of the Apache community will be presenting at DataWorks Summit 16-19 April 2018 in Berlin https://dataworkssummit.com/
– Open Expo Europe – 6-7 June 2018 in Madrid https://openexpoeurope.com/
– Meet members of the Apache community at Open Expo Madrid 6-7 June 2018 http://www.openexpo.es/en/
– We’re teaming up with Berlin Buzzwords – 10-12 June 2018 (Apache Lounge dates: 11-12 June) https://berlinbuzzwords.de/
– The 2018 Apache EU Roadshow will be held during FOSS Backstage in Berlin 13-14 June 2018 https://foss-backstage.de/
– Apache Big Data project communities will be participating at DataWorks Summit 17-21 June 2018 in San Jose https://dataworkssummit.com/
– ASF Quarterly Report: Operations Summary Q2 FY2018 https://s.apache.org/j1GJ
– ASF Annual Report is available at https://s.apache.org/FY2017AnnualReport
# # #