We’re wrapping up another great week with the following activities from the Apache community:
Success at Apache
This series focuses on the people and processes behind why the ASF “just works.” The most recent entry is “From Mentee to PMC” by Ephraim Anierobi.
ASF Annual Report
The ASF annual report is a look back at our many achievements during the 2021 Fiscal Year.
- Press release: The Apache Software Foundation Announces Annual Report for 2021 Fiscal Year
- ASF FY2021 Annual Report (PDF)
ASF Board – management and oversight of the business affairs of the corporation in accordance with the Foundation’s bylaws.
– Next Board Meeting: 20 October 2021. Board calendar and minutes https://apache.org/foundation/board/calendar.html
ApacheCon™ – the ASF’s official global conference series, bringing Tomorrow’s Technology Today since 1998. ApacheCon Asia was held online 6-8 August; ApacheCon@Home is coming up next on 21-23 September:
– The Apache® Software Foundation Announces Program for ApacheCon@Home 2021
– Learn all about ApacheCon with Rich Bowen and Swapnil M Mane
– Learn about the Community Track from Sharan Foga and Swapnil M Mane
– Register for ApacheCon@Home
ASF Infrastructure – our distributed team on three continents keeps the ASF’s infrastructure running around the clock.
– 7M+ weekly checks yield uptime at 99.99%. Performance checks across 50 different service components spread over more than 250 machines in data centers around the world. View the Apache Infrastructure Uptime site to see the most recent averages.
Apache Code Snapshot – Over the past week, 356 Apache Committers changed 2,986,797 lines of code over 3,104 commits. Top 5 contributors, in order, are: Alex Heneveld, Andrea Cosentino, Stephen Mallette, Andi Huber, and Claus Ibsen.
Apache Project Announcements – the latest updates by category.
Application Servers/Middleware —
– Apache Karaf runtime 4.3.3 released
– Apache PDFBox 3.0.0-alpha2 released
– Apache Any23 2.5 released
— CVE-2021-38555: An XML external entity (XXE) injection vulnerability exists in StreamUtils.java
— CVE-2021-40146: A Remote Code Execution (RCE) vulnerability exists in YAMLExtractor.java
Cloud Computing —
– Apache jclouds 2.4.0 released
– Apache Camel 3.11.2 (LTS) released
– Apache IoTDB 0.12.2 released
– Apache Log4j Kotlin API 1.1.0 released
– Apache Commons RNG 1.4 released
– Apache Jena CVE-2021-39239: XML External Entity (XXE) vulnerability
– Apache SkyWalking Python Agent 0.7.0 and Satellite 0.2.0 released
– Apache Solr Operator v0.4.0 released
Security Framework —
– Apache Shiro CVE-2021-41303: Before 1.8.0, when using Apache Shiro with Spring Boot, a specially crafted HTTP request may cause an authentication bypass
– Apache Tomcat 8.5.71, 9.0.53, 10.0.11, and 10.1.0-M5 (alpha) released
— CVE-2021-41079: Denial of Service
– Apache HttpComponents Core 5.2-alpha1 released
Web Frameworks –
– Apache Wicket 9.5.0 released
Did You Know?
– Did you know that NASA JPL uses Apache Kafka to enable real-time data feeds from Mars?
– Did you know that ASF Infrastructure’s uptime during FY2021 was 99.75%?
– Did you know that Shopify uses Apache Flink to analyze 10 TB+ of data?
Apache Community Notices
– Watch “Trillions and Trillions Served“, the documentary on the ASF 1) full feature [49 min] 2) “Apache Everywhere” [6 min] 3) “Why Apache” [2.5 min] 4) “Apache Innovation” [40 min]
– The Apache Month in Review: August 2021
– The Apache Way to Sustainable Open Source Success
– Foundation Reports and Statements
– Presentations from ApacheCon Asia are available on YouTube
– “Success at Apache” focuses on the people and processes behind why the ASF “just works.”
– Inside Infra: the new interview series with members of the ASF infrastructure team –meet
Chris Thistlethwaite https://s.apache.org/InsideInfra-Chris
Drew Foulks https://s.apache.org/InsideInf
Greg Stein Part I https://s.apache.org/InsideInfra-Greg
…Part II https://s.apache.org/InsideInfra-Greg2 and Part III https://s.apache.org/InsideInfra-Greg3
Daniel Gruno Part I https://s.apache.org/InsideInfra-Daniel1 and Part II https://s.apache.org/InsideInfra-Daniel2
Gavin McDonald Part I https://s.apache.org/InsideInfra-Gavin and Part II https://s.apache.org/InsideInfra-Gavin2
Andrew Wetmore Part I https://s.apache.org/InsideInfra-Andrew and Part II https://s.apache.org/InsideInfra-Andrew2
Chris Lambertus Part I https://s.apache.org/InsideInfra-ChrisL and Part II https://s.apache.org/InsideInfra-ChrisL2
– Follow the ASF on social media: @TheASF on Twitter and The ASF page LinkedIn.
– Follow the Apache Community on Facebook and Twitter.
Stay updated about The ASF
For real-time updates, sign up for Apache-related news by sending mail to email@example.com and follow @TheASF on Twitter. For a broader spectrum from the Apache community, https://twitter.com/PlanetApache provides an aggregate of Project activities as well as the personal blogs and tweets of select ASF Committers.