Welcome to the latest monthly overview of events from the Apache community. Here’s a summary of what happened in May:
New this month —
– The Apache Software Foundation Welcomes 34 New Members https://s.apache.org/q14mx
– Support Apache: help the ASF continue to provide $20B+ worth of software –at 100% no cost– for the public good https://s.apache.org/GivingTuesdayNow2020
– Apache Everywhere:
the first “short” from the “Trillions” documentary filmed onsite at
ApacheCon Las Vegas and Berlin this past year https://youtu.be/nXtIti9jMFI
– Announcing New ASF Board of Directors https://s.apache.org/Board2020
– ASF Statement on the COVID-19 Coronavirus Outbreak https://s.apache.org/COVID-19
– Notice on Apache 2020 Conferences https://s.apache.org/zgm8m
– “Inside Infra” –a new interview series with members of the ASF Infrastructure team. Meet Drew Foulks https://s.apache.org/InsideInfra-Drew
– Success at Apache: the monthly blog series that focuses on the people and processes behind why the ASF “just works”.
– Bringing the Apache Beam firefly to life by Julián Bruno https://s.apache.org/bmq4l
– Remote Collaboration in the Time of Coronavirus” by Marvin Humphrey https://s.apache.org/dkffj
– Happy 10th Anniversary Apache HBase https://s.apache.org/m2pxf
– Apache Month in Review: April 2020 https://s.apache.org/Apr2020
Important Dates —
– Next Board Meeting: 17 June 2020. Board calendar and minutes http://apache.org/foundation/board/calendar.html
seven-member Infrastructure team on three continents oversees our
highly-reliable, distributed network under the leadership of VP
Infrastructure David Nalley and Infrastructure Administrator Greg Stein.
ASF Infrastructure supports 300+ Apache projects and their communities
across ~200 individual machines, 1,400+ repositories, 5-6PB in traffic
annually, ~75M downloads per month, and 2-3M daily emails on 2,000+
lists. ASF Infra performs 7M+ weekly checks to ensure services are
available around the clock. The average uptime in May was 99.85%. http://www.apache.org/uptime/
In May, 905 Apache Committers changed 62,477,961 lines of code over 15,350 commits. The Committers with the top 5 highest contributions, in
order, were: Andrea Cosentino, Manfred Moser, Claus Ibsen, Jean-Baptiste Onofré, and Liang Zhang.
Project Releases and Updates —
New releases from Apache Ant (Build Management); Arrow (Big Data); Beam (Big Data); Calcite (Big Data); CloudStack (Cloud Computing); CouchDB (Big Data); Daffodil (Libraries); Druid (Big Data); Flink (Big
Data); Groovy (Programming Languages); Ignite (Big
Data); IoTDB (IoT); Impala (Databases); Jackrabbit (Content); jclouds (Cloud); JMeter (Testing); Kudu (Big Data); Kylin (Big Data); Log4j (Libraries); Lucene (Search); NLPCraft (Natural Language Processing); NuttX (Operating System); OFBiz (Enterprise Processes Automation / ERP); OpenMeetings (Web Conferencing); PLC4X (IoT); Qpid
(Messaging); ShardingSphere (Big Data); Subversion (Version Control); Syncope (Identity Management); Tomcat (Servers); UIMA (Content); Wicket (Web Frameworks); ZooKeeper (Databases).
Apache Incubator is the primary entry path for projects and codebases
wishing to become part of the efforts at The Apache Software Foundation. Welcome new podlings AgensGraph (graphing database), which entered the Incubator at the very end of April, as well as Liminal (machine learning), which was submitted just a few days ago. Congratulations to Apache ShardingSphere, which graduated as a Top-Level Project this month https://s.apache.org/315iv .We invite you to review
the many projects currently in development in the Apache Incubator http://incubator.apache.org/
Apache Community Development (“ComDev”) welcomes new participants to the Apache community and mentors them in “The Apache Way”.
Budapest, Hungary, is named the latest Apache Local Community (ALC) Chapter https://s.apache.org/yot34 . The Apache Local Community program is a relatively new initiative, and launched early 2020. Four ALC chapters are up and running; for more information, including how to set up your a local chapter for your community, visit https://s.apache.org/alc .
# # #
To see our Weekly News Round-ups, visit https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/ and click on the calendar in the upper-right side (published every Friday) or hop directly to https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/category/Newsletter .
For real-time updates, sign up for Apache-related news by sending mail
to firstname.lastname@example.org and follow @TheASF on Twitter. We
appreciate your support!